Sunday, September 19, 2010

Gaffney vs. Byrnes

After living here in South Carolina for nearly 5 years, curiosity got the best of me.  Just what was so great about high school football here?  Hal, Michael, Tisha, the kids and I hit the road for the Gaffney vs. Byrnes game on Friday.  This was THE Thing  to do here on Friday.  And, let me tell you, Football is VERY different here in the Upstate than where I am from!

It seems to me we have the most politically uncorrect names for teams.  On Friday, it was the Indians vs. the Rebels at the Gaffney stadium, The Reservation, which seats 8,000 people.  Not only does it hold half the town, it has its own megatron which plays the game live and also plays commercials during time outs. 


The people at the game take their high school football VERY seriously.  The people sitting in front of us even had their headphones on so they could listen to the game on an AM station. 



Another difference between my high school football games and this one were the referees.  These refs have microphones!  They even make calls over the loudspeaker.  It's crazy!


Tisha's son Avery plays trumpet in the band. They put on a pretty good half time show despite the opposing team booing them.  They were just mad that they were losing!



We had a great time and it was quite an experience!  The football players were much more talented than the ones I remember from my own school!

Adam and I want to go to a Byrnes game (our own district) at home.  I can only imagaine what that game will be like since they are the local powerhouse and quite often nationally ranked!  They have even had their games played on ESPN. 




No comments:

Post a Comment