On Sunday, when the dogs were playing in the back yard, I noticed Dakota limping. My immediate instinct told me she, like Cocoa, may have torn her ACL. Reluctantly, I pointed it out to my mom. She was concerned but thought maybe it was just a pulled muscle or a strain, which it could have been.
Unfortunately, it turned out to be much more serious. Over the course of the next 10 days, Dakota's limping became more pronounced and a bump formed on her leg. Wednesday, Mom and Reid took Dakota to the vet. I had warned my mom they would probably need to do x-rays. But, no one was prepared for what the x-rays would reveal.
Dr. Gentry at Friendly Animal Clinic (who has been Dakota's vet since she was a wee little girl) explained to my family the large mass they were seeing in the x-ray of our beloved companion's leg was cancer. Left untreated, she wouldn't have long to live. Maybe 6 months. Maybe longer.
My Mom called me shortly after the appointment. My brother texted me. They were both upset (even via text I could tell). But, my Mom was hysterical.
"She's my best friend," Mom cried. "She was with me during the worst part of my life and I'm not ready to let her go."
Neither was I. I, too, cried in my office. I cried for Dakota. I cried for my brother who had become so attached to her since coming to live with my mom nearly 7 months before. But, mostly I cried for my Mom. It just wasn't fair. And I know life isn't fair and I don't expect it to be. But, Reid and I got Dakota for my Mom the Christmas after my parents divorced. We thought it would give her a friend and an outlet during these tough times when we couldn't be there for her. And, she was. All the chewing and destruction subsided as she matured. And, she became the perfect dog.
At just 6 years young, Dakota really is a wonderful dog.
Mom and Reid were understandably upset and completely blindsided by the news. They couldn't handle deciding on a treatment plan or really hearing the options right then. Mom plans to talk with the vet tomorrow to find out more about what she can do.
If you are a praying person, please pray for Dakota. And, if you aren't, please keep her in your thoughts and send good vibes our way. This sweet little yellow lab needs all the help she can get. More to come...
Dakota and me in my first apartment Summer 2004 - 8 Months Old
Sweet Girl!
Dakota November of 2005 - 2 Years Old
Mom and Dakota Christmas 2005 - 2 Years Old

oh, Katie :( I am so sorry. I'll definitely keep them in my thoughts. I'm pulling for you, Dakota!
ReplyDeleteI'm SO SO sorry Katie - but what a sweet blog post. You guys are all in my thoughts.
ReplyDelete